Friday, February 19, 2010

VALENTINES DAY - Review

Directed by Gary Marshall, Starring EVERYONE








Love is in the air, everywhere you look around....

So I suppose you have to go into a film like "Valentines Day" with a certain mindset.  You either have to be willing to accept its terminal whimsy or you've got a good two hours of suffering ahead of you.  I chose acceptance rather than resistence, and it did help....but only a little. 

Here's the premise, in so much as it can be coherently described: Somebody likes so-and-so but they don't know so they like somebody else whose perhaps not so great for them because they're either married or just a crappy person and in the end things work out for the best for all involved.  There are just too many characters to really get into the nuts and bolts of it all, so that will just have to do.  There are a few halfway decent stories, though.  Julie Roberts' story is simple, sweet and has a nice little surprise in the end.  Shirley McClaine and Hector Elizondo show that love can indeed strengthen over time and, Topher Grace and Anne Hathaway make a swell young couple over coming a minor hurdle on their way to happiness.  The rest of it is pretty much fluff, varying degrees of fluffiness.  I also feel that I should warn you about the Taylors, both Swift and Lautner.  They are borderline unwatchable.

So I can't really recommend "Valentines Day", though it is relevtively harmless.  I have read several other reviews describing this film as a bit of a poor mans "Love, Actually".  I believe I'll follow suit and recommend a viewing of that instead.

Kmatt

1 comment:

  1. What if we like fluff and plenty of it? All I wanted was to go into the theater tomorrow and enjoy the pretty boys and girls,eat my overpriced bucket-o-popcorn and watch a stupid love story. Now,thanks to you Kevin Mattison,I have to go in being all "informed". I hope you're happy!

    ReplyDelete